Immediately after the election of Donald Trump as president, pundits and politicians alike were spending more time than ever discussing the disconnect between rural and urban America. Pittsburgh’s relationship to the small towns in southwest PA that surround the Steel City exemplifies the larger national questions of geographic inequity and rural–urban divide.
GIPH Credit: Public Source
We’re excited to see that the local in-depth journalism team at PublicSource is taking the summer to dive into the challenges and opportunities of living in Small Town, Pennsylvania. This new project highlights how major issues of inequity in health care, job access, economic growth, environment and education impact the lives of our neighbors just beyond Pittsburgh’s city limits.
PublicSource’s coverage of rural issues brings to light how inequity is experienced similarly in rural and urban communities. Their writings compel us to reimagine how we think about the geographic borders of impact-driven work. We need to consider how we can address major challenges – from food deserts to racial discrimination – in ways that are part of an interconnected, regional system.
It’s time to connect with our rural colleagues and learn how they are driving change in their communities. Collectively, we’ll be able to make progress on the major issues of inequality that people across our region face everyday.
Fired up! Ready to Go!
Ryan & Ben
THE WEEKLY DOSE OF GOOD
- 7/18 @ 5:30PM | Full Circle Impact Accelerator for Nonprofits – Fall Cohort Info Session | Social Venture Partners Pittsburgh invites leaders from innovative local nonprofits to join an info session where you will learn about the Full Circle impact accelerator for nonprofits & have a chance to ask questions about the application for the upcoming fall cohort.
- 7/18 @ 6:00PM | Public Hearing: Funding Affordable Housing | Join Pittsburgh United at this public hearing to learn about the proposed Housing Opportunity Fund & show your support for this $10 million/year housing trust fund that will impact the lives of thousands in need of affordable housing in Pittsburgh.
- 7/18 @ 6:00PM | The Journey – A Film Screening & Discussion | The Alliance for South Asians in Pittsburgh & the Silk Screen Asian Arts & Cultural Organization invite you to a screening of the film “The Journey,” which depicts an Indian man’s cultural shock when he visits his family in Pittsburgh followed by a discussion with the film’s director Harish Saluja & Dr. anupama jain of Inclusant.
- 7/19 @ 1:00PM | How to Make it Rain: Crowdfunding for Larger Budgets | ioby (stands for ‘in our backyard’), a leading crowdfunding site that helps communities raise dollars for impact-oriented projects, is hosting a free online workshop on crowdfunding tools & tips that an organization or individual can use to reach big, ambitious funding goals.
- 7/20 @ 6:00PM | Doctors Without Borders – Pittsburgh Recruitment Info Session | Medical & non-medical professionals are invited to an info session about the international medical aid organization Doctors Without Borders & current opportunities to provide assistance to people around the world whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect or catastrophe.
- 7/21 @ 5:00PM | Bowl of Life – Happy Hour Launch & Fundraiser | The Minority Networking Exchange invites you to a networking social to meet local, community-minded entrepreneurs & help support the launch of The Bowl of Life – a new food service enterprise that provides healthy lifestyles through food & education.
- 7/22 @ 11AM | Maximizing Small Spaces | Grow Pittsburgh & Repair the World invite you to join new & veteran urban gardeners for this skillshare & potluck where you will learn the best ways to use small spaces for sustainable, urban gardening in Pittsburgh.
- $100,000 in Grant Funding – Heinz Endowments Summer Youth Philanthropy Program | The Heinz Endowments has released four proposals for grants totaling $100,000 for innovative youth-serving projects that range from improving food literacy to developing robust civic education programming for youth in underserved communities. Applications due July 28. Learn more!
- 2017 Invest In Her Pitch Competition Application | Female entrepreneurs are encouraged to apply for the 3rd annual Invest In Her Pitch Competition – an exciting public pitch event that showcases the businesses of local female entrepreneurs as they compete for cash prizes. Learn more!
- Feature Read – Excommunicate Me from the Church of Social Justice | In this essay, cultural scholar Francis Lee explores the emergence of a particularly aggressive strand of social justice activism & poses the question, “What is the culture of activism & in what ways are activists restrained by it?” Learn more!
- Lipman Family Prize | The University of Pennsylvania has launched the call for applications for the 2018 Barry Marie Lipman Family Prize – an annual global $500,000 prize awarded to one organization that is creating sustainable solutions to significant social & economic challenges. Applications due August 14. Learn more!
- Shattered Glass – Podcast | Shattered Glass is a monthly podcast dedicated to stories of extraordinary women in the Pittsburgh area who are shattering the glass ceiling, co-hosted by Monica Hershberger & Wilkinsburg’s mayor-elect Marita Garrett featuring guest interviews about overcoming barriers & ethical leadership. Learn more!
- Journalism 360 | Google News Lab & the Knight Foundation have teamed up to establish Journalism 360 for the purposes of accelerating immersive storytelling in the news by bringing people together & sharing knowledge in the rapidly developing fields of 360, VR & AR journalism. Learn more!
- City of Pittsburgh Civic Leadership Academy | The application has launched for the upcoming Civic Leadership Academy – a free intensive 10-week workshop series that gives a select group of local residents a behind-the-scenes view into the workings of city government & gives you access to Pittsburgh's civic leaders. Learn more!
- Civically – Call for Board Members | Civically, a new nonprofit that cultivates community in Wilkinsburg by building financial & basic literacy skills, promoting civic & community engagement to instill self-reliance, is looking for entrepreneurial individuals to join their growing Board. Learn more!
Like what you see? Follow us on Twitter and encourage others to sign-up for the TWDG at http://citizencity.org/twdg. Do you have an event, opportunity or article that you'd like to see highlighted? Just email email@example.com!
- Energy Innovation Center Institute – Conference & Event Manager | The EIC Institute, a local nonprofit dedicated to engaging Pittsburgh’s corporate & community leaders, developing next generation energy technologies & incubating sustainability-centered businesses, seeks to hire a staff person to manage the planning & execution of their many public & private events & programs. Apply today!
- Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh – Marketing Education Associate | The Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh, the region’s primary resource for Holocaust education & research, seeks to hire a staff person to execute a comprehensive social media & web strategy for the Center that inspires engagement with Holocaust history & connects it to the present. Apply today!
- Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force – Development & Communications Coordinator | PATF, which provides innovative support services that improve the health & quality of life for individuals living with HIV/AIDS & prevent the spread of the HIV in the region, seeks to hire a staff person to develop & execute a communications strategy that expands PATF’s reach in the region. Apply today!
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank – Advocacy Fellow | The Food Bank seeks to hire an Advocacy Fellow to work alongside the Advocacy & Research Manager to grow their advocacy & research capabilities & to create a Hunger Fact Sheet series that informs policymakers on food justice topics. Apply today!
- University of Pittsburgh Office of Governmental & Community Affairs – Assistant Director for Community Relations | Pitt’s Office of Governmental & Community Affairs seeks to hire a new Assistant Director for Community Relations who will work with senior level University administrators to develop, improve & maintain community partnerships that enhance the Pittsburgh community. Apply today!
- Adagio Health – Education Program Manager | Adagio Health, a leader in providing healthcare to women across Western Pennsylvania, seeks to hire a manager to oversee Adagio’s educational programming & to work closely with the Chief of External Affairs to manage the day-to-day operations of the education department & its staff. Apply today!
- Allegheny County Bar Association Foundation – Foundation Projects & Programs Manager | The Allegheny County Bar Foundation, a Pittsburgh-based charitable foundation that mobilizes attorneys to offer pro-bono legal services & grants that promote justice for all, seeks to hire a staff person to manage the Foundation’s educational, grant-giving & legal programming. Apply today!