The fall is finally here, which means that SOCAP is right around the corner. Never heard of SOCAP or the Social Capital Markets Conference? It's the world’s leading conference on activating the power of capital markets to drive positive social and environmental impact. Or put more bluntly, a convening to explore the intersection of money, markets and meaning.
Ryan & Ben
SOCAP annually attracts 3000 people who are driving the latest, most creative ideas for getting capital to flow in the direction of positive social impact. For the past decade, this annual conference has brought together impact investors, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, business leaders and other innovators from across the world in a unique cross-sector event to catalyze new collaborations for change.
SOCAP 2017 will take place in San Francisco, California from October 10 to 13. Tickets for the event are still available, but if you’re like us and won’t be able to make it out west, you can follow the latest news from the conference online at @SOCAPmarkets. And if you're working on any impact-driven related investment work in Pittsburgh, let us know! We'd love to see how local organizations are plugging into this international impact trend.
Fired up, ready to go!
THE WEEKLY DOSE OF GOOD
- 9/25 @ 7:00PM | An Evening with Cathy O'Neil on Weapons of Math Destruction | Join local grassroots news source PublicSource for an Evening with Cathy O’Neil – mathematician & author of New York Times bestseller, “Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality & Threatens Democracy.”
- 9/25 @ 7:30PM | Nancy Isenberg – White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America | Join this month’s Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures event featuring historian & author Nancy Isenberg as she discusses her bestselling book White Trash, which puts class under the kind of lens that writers like Cornel West & Ta-Nehisi Coates put race as well as offers historical context to writings on contemporary inequality.
- 9/26 @ 5:30PM | FinTech at The Forum | The Pittsburgh Entrepreneurs Forum invites you to learn about Pittsburgh’s emerging fintech (financial technologies) scene from a panel of local entrepreneurs who are using technology to build tools & solutions for local, regional, national & international financial challenges.
- 9/26 @ 6:00PM | Protect Our Water Town Hall | Join concerned residents & the Our Water Campaign to discuss Pittsburgh’s looming lead crisis, learn what the Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority is doing to address lead issues & find out what you can do to ensure safe, affordable, public water for all residents.
- 9/26 @ 7:00PM | Anonymous Open Mic: Community Narratives Around Mental Illness | Join an evening of live anonymous storytelling by Pittsburghers who have been affected by mental illness & want to have their experiences included in an effort to craft a community narrative about mental illness in Pittsburgh.
- 9/27 @ 3:00PM | AI For Good: Thrival Innovation Keynote | Join the Ascender team at the historic Kelly Strayhorn Theater for the Thrival Innovation Keynote, which will bring together tech leaders from across the US to address the consequences of an AI revolution — ranging from the effects on our day-to-day lives, to the impact on jobs & the economy, to the way government handle AI policy.
- 9/30 - 10/1 @ 9:00AM | Creating Confluence | Join this two-day professional development workshop to develop your awareness of local diversity, equity & inclusion issues as well as to build practical skills that will help you facilitate inclusive dialogue & incorporating equity into your organization’s activities.
- 10/1 @ 12:00PM | Steel City World Cup + Global Festival | PUMP, a local nonprofit that mobilizes young professionals to effect change in the community, invites you to celebrate Pittsburgh’s vibrant & growing global community by enjoying global food & entertainment while cheering on soccer teams representing 20 countries.
- Women in Leadership XXI Application | Coro Pittsburgh is now accepting applications for Women in Leadership–a part-time experiential leadership program devoted to training early & mid-career women professionals interested in civic engagement & motivated to strive toward the full inclusion of women in business, politics, government, arts, education, philanthropy & community organizing. Apply today!
- Flexable Care – Popup Childcare | Flexable, a Pittsburgh-based start-up that is moving towards a world where childcare is available for individuals & families everywhere, provides affordable popup childcare at professional events, offices, retail stores & other spaces where parental participation is often limited due to lack of childcare. Learn more!
- Hey Pittsburgh, help us investigate health care & how the system could improve | Pittsburgh’s grassroots news source PublicSource has launched a new crowdsourcing initiative where local residents can share stories on overuse, underuse & misuse of resources in the health system as well as ideas & thoughts to improve how residents of Allegheny County experience the health care system. Learn more!
- Pittsburgh’s Powerful Nonprofits | Check out this in-depth piece from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that delves into the powerful role nonprofits, foundations & their leadership play in influencing the local economy, real estate development, government & more. Learn more!
- Women Deliver Young Leaders Program | Women Deliver, an international effort to drive progress for the wellbeing of girls & women around the world, has launched the application for their Young Leaders Program, which trains, elevates & empowers leaders ages 15 to 28 to catalyze action for gender equality, including sexual & reproductive health & rights of women. Applications due October 13. Learn more!
- Immigration Innovation Incubator – Call for Applications | The Emerson Collective has launched a call for applications for their Immigration Innovation Incubator – a program that provides advocates who have transformative, early-stage ideas that enable immigrants to thrive in the United States with financial support, training & access to influential mentors that accelerate their solutions. Learn more!
- Compassion Games: Survival of the Kindest | Compassion Games is a community engagement experience that invites people to challenge one another to reveal & promote acts of compassion that better our lives & our communities – In the past 5 years more than 40 countries & 490,000 players have engaged in Compassion Games that have served over 5.4 million people. Learn more!
Like what you see? Follow us on Twitter and encourage others to sign-up for the TWDG at http://citizencity.org/twdg. Do you have an event, opportunity or article that you'd like to see highlighted? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org!
- BoardBookit – Director of Marketing | BoardBookit, a Pittsburgh-based startup that helps nonprofit & for-profit boards easily share information through a secure & simple online platform, seeks to hire a Director of Marketing who will be responsible for generating demand using aggressive, data-driven marketing approaches. Apply today!
- National Institutes of Health – All of Us Community Engagement Coordinator | The NIH seeks to hire a staff person to develop, pilot & evaluate All of Us community engagement activities, including working with regional public libraries & community organizations to develop community health needs activities that reach underrepresented populations typically not included in research. Apply today!
- Jewish Family & Children’s Service of Pittsburgh – Refugee Case Worker | JFCS seeks to hire an AmeriCorps member to play a vital role in ensuring that newly arriving refugees in Pittsburgh receive access to critical services that will help them quickly adjust to their new environment, including helping refugee employment clients with job placement, running cultural orientation classes & more. Apply today!
- The Pittsburgh Foundation – Grants Assistant | The Pittsburgh Foundation seeks to hire a highly collaborative, part-time Grants Assistant who will work hand-in-hand with the Foundation’s Grants Coordinator & Scholarship Coordinators to process, deploy & track grants & scholarship funding. Apply today!
- Duolingo – Freelance Spanish Language Teaching Expert | Duolingo, the Pittsburgh-based enterprise that makes new language learning accessible to everyone, seeks to hire a part-time Spanish language teaching expert who can help create cultural content for Spanish learners & edit course content so that it effectively matches a student’s competency level. Apply today!
- Friends of the Riverfront – Executive Director | Friends of the Riverfront, the region’s leader in riverfront water trail development, environmental restoration & community engagement, seeks to hire a entrepreneurial new head to develop novel & creative ways to expand the organization’s impact in the region. Apply today!